Have a disability or medical condition? You are not alone. Many people with disabilities have contributed to society. These include actors, actresses, celebrities, singers, world leaders, and many other famous people.
A disability is often used to refer to individual functioning, including physical impairment, sensory impairment, cognitive impairment, intellectual impairment, mental illness, and various types of chronic diseases.
Of course there are also millions of people worldwide who may not be famous in the sense society deems famous, but still live with, battle, and overcome their disabilities every single day of their lives.
These lists are a constant work in progress and were created to prove that it is indeed possible to overcome the so called disability barrier.
Below you will find in our various categories of disabilities a resource of men and women who have made a difference to the world including pictures and the names of many famous and well known people who have, or had these disabilities (often referred to as being crippled, handicapped, or having a handicap in past times.)
Sarah Bernhardt: French actress (1844-1923) Disabled by a knee injury, her leg amputated in 1914, she continued starring on stage until just before her death. She is regarded as France's greatest actress -- "The Divine Sarah". 2. Beethoven: Composer: Was deaf when he composed his 9th symphony. 3. Winston Churchill: had a learning disability. 4. Walt Disney: had a learning disability. 5. Edison: Had a learning disability. He couldn't read until he was twelve years old and had a very dficult time writing even when he was older. 6. Albert Einstein: Mathematician/Physicist: Had a learning disability and did not speak until age 3. He had a very difficult time doing math in school. It was very hard for him to express himself through writing. 7. Goya: Spanish painter (1746-1828): At age 46, an illness left him deaf. He went on to create the most famous Spanish art of the 19th century.
8. Alexander Graham Bell: had a learning disability.
9. Stephen Hawking: physicist/mathematician has Lou Gehrigs Disease and is in a wheelchair. He needs a computer to speak.
10. Milton: English Author/poet (1608-1674): He became blind at age 43. He went on to create his most famous epic, Paradise Lost.
11. George Patton: This World War II General had a learning disability. 12. Nelson Rockfeller: former Vice President: had a learning disability: dyslexia. 13. President Roosevelt: At age 39, his legs were paralyzed by polio. He became governor of New York state and was elected president four times. 14. Harriett Tubman: Abolitionist (1830-1913): As a child she was struck by an overseer. The blow fractured her skull and resulted in narcolepsy for the rest of her life. She rescued hundreds of slaves on the underground railroad. 15. Werner Von Braun: had a learning disability and often flunked his math tests in high school. 16. George Washington: Had a learning disability. He could barely write and had very poor grammar skills. 17. Woodrow Wilson: U.S. President from 1913-1921. Had a learning disability -- was severely dyslexic.
18. Robert M. Hensel: Disability Advocate,Poet & 2x World record holder was born with Spina bifida
Other Famous People
Famous People who Died Young - Hank Williams died at the age of 29 (Sep17, 1923 - Jan 1, 1953) was a famous American singer, songwriter and musician, and has become an icon of country music and one of the most influential musicians and songwriters of the 20th century.
Worlds Tallest Man - The tallest person in recorded history was Robert Pershing Wadlow also known as the Alton Giant because of his birthplace in Alton Illinois USA. Wadlow was the oldest of five children.
Worlds Fattest Man - World's fattest man Manuel Uribe Garza, 40, weighs 1235 pounds. Due to his morbid obesity, he faces challenges like inability to move and walk. Updated, Manuel has lost an incredible amount of weight recently.
Worlds Shortest Man - The official shortest man in the world is He Pingping who holds the Guinness World Record for the worlds smallest man measuring only 74.61 cms tall.